Walgreens has launched its own advertising offering, dubbed Walgreens Advertising Group (wag). It’s designed to help brands maximize ROI through data-led execution and optimization on Walgreens-owned platforms and through other external brand-safe channels.
By combining the scale of more than 9,000 stores and 100+ million loyalty members with advanced data modeling, the retailer’s full-service personalization-driven advertising offering can deliver custom-built audiences tailored to brand goals and objectives. The technology and Walgreens’ customer relationships can connect audiences to advertising platforms, enabling wag to deliver shopper reach across the digital ecosystem.
Walgreens is one of just a few retailers that have sought to translate its customer relationships into marketing deliverables for other brands. The Kroger Precision Marketing (KPM) program, which debuted in March 2019, was established by Kroger’s 84.51° analytics and technology division to provide brand partners with additional transparency and improved sales while creating a new revenue source for Kroger itself.
Key offerings from the wag program include:
- People-based first-party data set grounded in 100+ million loyalty members;
- Advanced analytics and data science for custom audiences;
- Technology-led personalization across the entire customer experience;
- Direct connections of audiences to advertising platforms on Walgreens-owned and third-party channels;
- Ability to reach shoppers across a spectrum of channels such as digital display, video, social, streaming audio and email, as well as Walgreens digital platforms and stores;
- Access to Walgreens Programmatic Demand Side Platform (DSP) with SKU-level real-time optimization based on daily transactions; and
- Closed-loop measurement of customers’ end-to-end shopping journeys.
“At Walgreens, we have an unparalleled insight into consumers’ needs and shopping preferences when it comes to health and wellness items and everyday needs,” said Luke Kigel, VP of Walgreens integrated media and head of wag in a statement. “Leveraging advanced technology to unlock the power of our first-party data, we can help brands accelerate ROI by delivering relevant and personalized experiences to their highest value consumers.”
In addition to shopper activation points, wag will offer brands enhanced audience and shopper insights, creative services and optimization and measurement. The combination of these services with a network of owned and external channels helps deliver more tailored experiences to shoppers, deepening their relationship with brands.