Bed Bath & Beyond has said goodbye to its cramped aisles and stocked-high shelves. With its new flagship in New York City, the retailer has completely transformed its in-store experience, emphasizing its mission of helping customers make “home, happier.”
The renovated 92,000-square-foot space was designed with interactivity in mind. Combining digital shopping tools and the classic touch-and-feel experience the retailer is known for, the store is part of Bed Bath & Beyond’s long-term goal of remodeling 450 locations, along with transforming its omnichannel business strategy.
“We set out a bold strategic plan last October to become a digital first, omni-always retailer,” said Mark Tritton, President and CEO of Bed Bath & Beyond in a statement. “A key component of our plan is modernizing our stores to help customers unlock the magic in every room of their homes. Our Chelsea flagship has served the local community for decades, and we’re proud to invest here and add to New York City’s ‘return to normal’ to serve residents and visitors alike.”
Key experiential elements of the location include:
- Lower sightlines, wider aisles and neatly arranged products to eliminate “shopping paralysis”;
- The SodaStream Bubble Bar, which gives customers a fun, engaging way to purchase and personalize their SodaStream bottles while enjoying creations concocted by mixologists;
- A Casper shop-in-shop experience that encompasses the brand’s entire suite of sleep offerings;
- More than 20 merchandising experiences to showcase private-label brands as well as key brand partners; and
- Café 3B™, a barista serving La Colombe coffee that adds to the flagship’s relaxing shopping environment.
But Bed Bath & Beyond also is emphasizing its omnichannel capabilities. Customers are encouraged to use the retailer’s app and customize it for “in-store shopping mode” so they can better navigate the store, view additional product information and create registry lists. QR codes are displayed in aisles and on product displays to create “endless aisles” that make it easy for customers to shop for additional colors, sizes and products. Flagship shoppers also have access to “scan and buy” capabilities that allow them to bypass the checkout line and make purchases quickly and easily.
Fulfillment offerings also have expanded. While the flagship has a dedicated pickup area for online orders, consumers also can opt for curbside pickup, which is available within one hour of a customer’s placing the order.
Photos courtesy of Bed Bath & Beyond